Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cosmic Brownies

What month is it anyway? It was in the lower 60s here yesterday. I'm talking jeans and jackets (naturally I only brought shorts and tshirts). I'm so freezing I'm about to pull out the winter gear.

One improvement I have made on my life since I've been here is, not sweating the small stuff. Hellooo story of my life. Tuesday we went to the pool. Both my little cousins have significant others that they meet at the pool. Before we left they were like "Brandy, what are you going to do?" Sit and think about Ethan. That can be dangerous, so I sorted through Nancy Drew, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Hannah Montana, and 1980s romance novels before I found "Simple Steps to not Sweating the Small Stuff" or something to that effect. I figured that would be most benficial. It basically just talked about everything I already know but effectively ignore. For example, when you have an anxious thought before you fall asleep like "I have to make that phone call tomorrow" if you allow it, the thought can spiral into whirlwind of other thoughts concerning your to-do-list tomorrow. Then you end up losing precious hours of sleep because you're stuck in your own hurricane. I don't really struggle with the sleep thing, but I am a pretty intense whirlwind maker. Especially when it comes to Ethan. Needless to say, he was happy I picked that book over the 80s romance novels.

Another thing I've learned is the amount of naughtiness that goes on when Mom is outside mowing. You play wrestling, hit each other with sticks, eat all the junk food you can find, watch shows you otherwise wouldn't be allowed to watch, and call each other mean names. I witnessed all of this yesterday. And being the big ornery cousin that I am, I did nothing to stop the occurence. I fed the fire by reaching the Cosmic Brownies for Jack because he wasn't tall enough. I let him eat a whole one instead of a half (because mom was outside mowing) and then he threw up. Ok learned my lesson, follow the rules, even when mom is outside mowing.