Monday, June 14, 2010

Sunshine Lives

Its been a whole week since my last blog! Internet is a rare commodity around here. It's also been a whole week since the sun came out, but it finally did and we were able to go to the pool!



I ran a 5k with Kenze on saturday. I got first place for my age bracket (19-29) and she got 2nd for hers (12-18). She did awesome! She helps me understand what parenting will be like. I mean I remember changing her diapers. In fact, there's dirty proof of that on the carpet at our old church's library (haha sorry mom). And now she's running beside me, miles at a time, telling me about her boyfriend. It's like everytime I look at her, I still see that little baby. Gah I feel like such a pansy girl!


Another big adventure was that my grandfather CHOSE to go into town with us. I tried to talk him out of it (shopping is much more fun with a grandma ;) ) but he insisted. So we dropped grandma off at the doctor and then we went.......ATV SHOPPING! Yes, that's right. After how many years of trying to convince him to add another to his collection, he finally gave in. We went and looked at those Gator things, his exact words were "Thats the stupidest thing I've ever seen Brandy, you're the only one who could drive it, and you don't even live here, the mothers would never let the grandkids come over again!" And that's a bad thing? ...I'm just teasing. I love being mobbed, followed, and robbed of any privacy by small children. As you're probably guessing, we walked away empty handed. But I haven't given up!!



One thing I am concerned about, at least a little bit, is how Jack is going to react to Ethan. You see, they both think that they're my boyfriend. When my dad was little he wanted to marry his oldest sister, so at first Jack's infatuation was cute, but now I'm really worried! He is under the impression that he has bigger muscles than Ethan and walks around talking about how he's going to beat Ethan up because I'm his girlfriend. He's 3 I might add. He'll run up to me and jump/hug my legs, then lift his arms up so I'll pick him up, then in his high pitched lispy kid voice he'll say "Are you hungry for a squeeze?" then hug me as tight as he can and say "I'm your boyfriend!" He'll be in for a shock when he sees Ethan's manly muscles!! :)

So there's a story around these parts that took place in 1886. Apparently two German immigrants moved to Iowa with the dream of being farmers, imagine that. They never had any kids so they had to hire people to do work. Well one day the man went to the bank and took out all his money, and the next day they found him and his wife murdered. The farmhand who was living with them was no where to be found, and of course the money was gone. Weeeell these kind folks are buried up at a little cemetery in the middle of no where. One day an old lady was placing flowers on the grave and oh my goodness the face of the murderer had appeared on the stone. So everyone from all over Iowa, including professional grave-looker-atters, came to observe. And sure enough, the face was showing up due to reactions with atomospheric conditions. ...Yeahhhh right. My Grandpa told me this story. Then he took me and Grandma to the actual grave. I must say there definitely was some atomospheric reaction taking place; however, I was expecting a portrait. Not quite the case. There were some lines where if you kinda tilted your head, squinted your eyes, spun around three times on a full moon night you might be able to see something something resembling long hair, but nothing worthy of being published in a book. Which the story actually is published in a book called Haunted Heartland.

The trip to the cemetery wasnt completely disappointing. On the way back we drove by some guy's house that looked like a junk yard. There was so much junk, old cars, tractors, big pieces of metal. So I'm looking at all this junk as we're driving by and I notice in the corner under a tree...are you ready for it?? Rylee, pay attention! In the corner under a tree I saw THE OLD SUBURBAN! The brown one. Ohh the memories came flooding back, I almost jumped out of the car and ran to it, hugging it, thanking it for safely teaching me how to drive. Grandpa wouldnt stop the car because apparently the guy that lives there likes to talk. But I'm thinking, Rylee, it'll be a night adventure, maybe with a big dog and a .22